Thursday, September 27, 2007

To get a good idea of who I am

I am not going to tell you those basic things which everyone asks about people. An example of these things are: What is your major? How tall are you? Do you have any brothers or sisters? If you knew the answers to all of these questions you would know no more about me than I do about any celebrity in Hollywood, although my knowledge of this is limited at best. I just re-read The Little Prince and I actually believe that I understood the message of the book, so I will use the book as an influence on my first entry. I must say that my recent understanding of the book has very little to do with what I have learned in school this year and a lot more to do with my intake of Alkaloids this summer. Whoever says that you use only 10% of your brain was misled. I used to collect butterflies when I lived in Thailand because they were so numerous, diverse, and beautiful. I was so excited to start that I caught about 20 on my first day, including many different species. However, I overlooked the fact that you had to kill them to have a collection. I will never forget poisoning that first one with rubbing alcohol. The other 19 I set free, and I think it may have been one of the best decisions of my life. It is funny how you can go from overwhelmingly enthousiastic about an idea to repulsed in a matter of hours. It was the shortest hobby I ever had.

1 comment:

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

Hi Jake,
Nice to finally read your first entry - nice approach, too - slightly random and quite captivating. You're quite right about the "majors" and "siblings" questions!
Looking forward to reading more,
Melissa